Wednesday, June 29, 2011

this kid has a point and shoot

Guess what, folks?! I finally bought myself a point and shoot camera. I've been wanting one for a while so that I can keep a camera with me when it isn't practical to have my dslr. An example would be when I went on a 27 hour roadtrip to CA a few years back. Who wants to tote a big hunk of a camera around to places like Disneyland and the County Fair? It's just cumbersome, you know?

 my first picture with the new camera + Jewel taking my coffee order at Gusta Java on Saturday

My biggest concern was being able to take quality images on whatever point and shoot I chose. I knew that if I got one that took mediocre pictures, I would never use it and I would have wasted my money. Manual controls was a big part of my decision too because I am used to doing everything manually. Canon (yeah, I'm loyal) only appeared to have 2 cameras that fit my needs. The S95 and the G12.

 squash guy at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. He invited us over to see his garden and cook squash with him...not going to lie, it was creepy.

After combing through reviews and comparisons I decided on the S95. The G12 was $100 more, but it didn't have $100 worth of additional features in my opinion. I love how small the s95 is too. I can't think of anywhere that this camera would not be practical. It's the perfect size for a casual camera, and it performs well enough to be a dslr substitute...basically it's perfect.
 


 cussing pepper guy

 me awkwardly posing in front of the market
shirt: Express; necklace: Earthbound; pants: Target; shoes: Kohl's; bag: thrifted


Once I bought the camera (and borrowed a memory card), I was shooting anything and everything. Sarah and I woke up early Saturday to go to the Farmer's Market, so these are some of the first pictures I took with my camera. I loved it! I think they definitely look comparable to what I would have taken with my dslr AND it was easier to carry around. I got some great squash and herbs at the market. It was great to get outside and walk around on such a nice day. All the storms have made the weather wonderfully mild these last few weeks!


After the farmer's market, I cooked some of the squash I bought and ate on the back porch with a book. I've just started reading Janet Fitch's Paint it Black. It's fantastic so far! I love dark subject matter in books for some reason. I think it's because I don't have a lot of darkness in my own life, so reading about it like a fascination.


I had the pleasure of babysitting my little sister for most of Saturday afternoon. It was a last minute thing, and I had a lot of wedding pictures to edit so we had a movie marathon. This allowed me to edit while she watched the movies, which worked out well. Ok it was good until we watched Earnest Scared Stupid. We had to turn it off because it scared her. I felt bad at first, but then I remembered that I watched Aliens with my granddad as a young child and I turned out ok. A few nightmares aren't going to scar her for life...I hope.



On the way home I played with my camera some more and took some pictures out the window. Yes, folks, I'm one of those people. We have had some absolutely stunning sunsets lately. I don't take pictures of them often since pictures just can't do a sunset justice, but in this case I thought it would be fun. I'm such a sucker for a pretty sky.

If any of you are in the market for a nice camera and don't want to splurge on a dslr, I highly recommend the S95! Honestly, unless you have kids that move really fast and play sports, you don't even need a dslr. So if you're on a budget, save your money and get a high quality point and shoot like the S95 or another brand's equivalent.

1 comment:

cb said...

i want this camera! we need a good point and shoot!!! oh and i love your bag too! so my style ;D

xo,
cb