Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Cheer

I've had a rough-ish week, guys. I don't want to be a bummer on such a beautiful Friday, but my Papaw Jerry passed away this week (step-mom's dad...don't let the "step" fool you, they are absolutely my family). He has been sick for over a year, and just the last few weeks have been really bad. Anyway, I needed a little cheer in my week so we decided to decorate the house last night.

We put up the old tree in the living room and a few ornaments. I'm still building up a collection, but I love the ones I have. I think over half of my ornaments feature cats :) I also put some stockings up and some little figurines around the room.



I'm planning on making a curtain to cover the fireplace since we don't use it. It's on my to-do list! Also, don't you love the tree skirt?! My Granddaddy's sister made it years ago...I think it's absolutely gorgeous. 


I also tried to put Dudley's Santa costume on, but in true Santa fashion he was too big for it. Sometimes I forget that my cat is twice the size of a normal cat! Anyway, we also put some lights around the porch outside and garland on the stair rail. I made a wreath last week and I'll post all about that another time. I'm really proud of it, I just wish you could see it from the road. It blends into the door...I'm tempted to paint my door. Is that a little extreme? (Yes...it is, I'll answer my own question).

All the holiday cheer did make me feel a little better, but I know the holidays just won't be the same this year. Rest in peace, Papaw! I'm glad you're no longer suffering.

9 comments:

Ana McMurry said...

I am so sorry to hear about Tina's dad, and we send you our condolences. As for your decorations, they look fabulous in your house. I love the tree skirt, it speeks tradition to me, especially since you have it from a loved one. For a second, I thought you had 2 trees in the house, then I noticed is the same tree but the picture is taken from 2 different angles:-) You just put me in a holiday spirit, which means I should start getting the Christmas decorations out:-)

Unknown said...

Poor Dudley he looks so excited.

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I'm sorry about your Papaw. :[ I love your tree skirt. I had to finally buy one this year, because I was tired of using that fake fluff/snow. I got an ok one from Home Depot, but I don't love it.

alicia said...

so sorry about pawpaw jerry.

your decorations look great! i love your milkglass mantle! <3

cb said...

im so sorry kristi. i hope decorating made you feel better but he is in a better place now and is in no more pain.

have you seen candles in fire places before? that looks really great plus it makes it feel like a tiny fire!
xo,
cb

cb said...

im so sorry kristi. i hope decorating made you feel better but he is in a better place now and is in no more pain.

have you seen candles in fire places before? that looks really great plus it makes it feel like a tiny fire!
xo,
cb

Unknown said...

OMG, your cat looks SO cute and I love his name, Dudley!

bethan said...

i am so sorry you have had a rough week, and for the worst possible reason. as someone with step-grandparents they are totally the same as biological grandparents and it must hurt bad :(

x.

Crochet Addict UK said...

So sorry for loss!

Your house looks fanastic!