Monday, July 1, 2013

Always 10

This past Friday Rhett and I FINALLY got to go down to see the Braves retire number 10 and honor Chipper Jones. We bought tickets as soon as they went on sale, so we've been looking forward to this for a while. I booked us a room at a Double Tree in Buckhead so that we could eat a delicious cookie before the game. The hotel was pretty nice, although the 6AM trash convention outside our room was an unpleasant surprise. I have never seen it take that long for a trash truck to pick up the trash. I gave up trying to go back to sleep at about 6:20. Ridiculous!


Anyway, after we checked into the hotel and had our cookies, we headed over to the nearest Marta station to catch the train. The whole Marta system is pretty neat! With game day traffic, it was quite tight on the train, but I imagine on a regular day it's probably not so bad. Some of the stations are definitely sketchy though. I probably wouldn't ride it alone, I'll just put it that way.



We were worried about getting to the game on time since we had to wait so long for the train and the shuttle, but we made it just in time to see the number retirement ceremony! If you're not a baseball fan, this is a ceremony to honor a retired player and hang their number up at the field. The number will never be worn again by a Brave. It's Chipper's forever! He was inducted into the Braves Hall of Fame earlier that day too.



It was just SO AWESOME to be there to witness this moment. Rhett has been a Chipper fan as long as he's been a baseball fan, which is a long time, so I know it was really special for him. The game went really well and the Braves came out on top! There were several good plays and some home runs to keep things interesting. This was probably my favorite major league baseball experience to date.





After the game we hopped back on the shuttle, then on the train back to Buckhead. It was nice having a crowd around so I didn't feel so vulnerable. We did see a guy get arrested at the Marta station on the way back, so that didn't do much to put me at ease. I'm probably just a wimp, but I'm used to my little North Jackson bubble :)

We woke up the next morning (early because of the stupid trash pickup) and headed to the Georgia Aquarium. This post is already pretty long, so I'm going to save the aquarium for another post. It was an AMAZING weekend! Even with the 6 hour drive there and back + horrible traffic, I loved our weekend.

1 comment:

a little black cloud in a dress said...

so aweesome! I've always been a braves fan. andruw jones was my first celebrity crush. haha.