Friday, August 10, 2012

Read a Book a Month: June


My two books for June were both memoirs. First I read Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson of The Bloggess. There were several chapters that had me doubled over laughing! She has had some pretty wild experiences, but parts of them are still relatable to me as a child of the South. I loved reading about the taxidermy animals and living out in the country. There were some chapters that could have been left out entirely, most of them toward the end. It got kind of boring, but on the whole it was an enjoyable read! I still have it, so if anyone wants it, let me know. Just pay shipping and you can have it!
  


Next I started on She Got Up Off the Couch, which is a follow-up to A Girl Named Zippy. Kimmel's writing style was wonderful, so I really enjoyed this book. I do wish there had been more about her mother's journey, which is what I thought the book was about. But since the story is happening when Kimmel is a child, I guess it would be weird if she had a lot of insight at that time. Basically her mother breaks herself free from being a somewhat shackled housewife and goes to college. It's a really inspiring story, and I'd be interested to read it from her mom's perspective. Kimmel's stories about her childhood are quite entertaining though! She throws a good amount of humor into the story without trying too hard (which is how I felt that Lawson came off at times).

Both of these books are good reads, but I think I would recommend She Got Up Off the Couch first :)

No comments: