Monday, February 27, 2012

Hadley's

We have a nice little tradition around the office, where we go out to lunch for everyone's birthday. This past week we went out for Tim's birthday (he's our news and media relations guy). He decided he wanted to try this new place in town called Hadley's, which is just right down the road from the office. It's a locally owned restaurant that the owner is planning on franchising eventually. I think the concept is Southern fast food or something like that.

The day we planned to go turned out to be a gorgeous day, so several of us decided to walk...a preemptive strike, if you will.



It was a relatively pleasant experience. The food didn't wow me, but there were some interesting things to choose from on the menu, and the staff was very friendly. The place itself seemed really well thought-out and designed, so I appreciated that. I notice that a lot of local places don't put any time into their branding, and it bothers me.



The walls were plastered with Southern phrases, and while that is quite cheesy, I did find myself laughing at some of the phrases that I hear people say often. Of course they mis-punctuated y'all. IT'S A CONTRACTION FOR YOU ALL NOT YA ALL! Everyone reading this please take note...it's y'all, not ya'll. Ok, now that that's over... let's move on.


I haven't been sticking to my healthy lifestyle as much as I usually do. I guess you go through ups and downs with everything, but my nutrition has been at a major down lately. I definitely allow myself splurges, but it ceases to be a splurge when it's every other day. ANYWAY, I got a slawburger with sweet potato fries and unsweet tea. What's a slawburger? Exactly what it sounds like. I love slaw...on anything. I wish mayonnaise wasn't so fatty, because I would be happy just slathering slaw on everything.

I don't think this will become a regular stop for me...especially since I don't make a habit of eating out, but I do think that you should give it a try if you're local!

2 comments:

cb said...

there is always room for french fries in everyone's life! those look perfectly cooked!!!!!!!!!
xo,
cb

Ana McMurry said...

I had to laugh at your grammar lesson for the word y'all. Although I know how it's spelled and used, I never use it:-) It's funny, a lot of Southerners don't know how to spell it correctly:-)
Anyway, I love the idea of a slawburger, but only because of the slaw and not the burger, since I don't like them:-) But what I did eat and thought was the best thing I had here in the South was a hot-dog with a blue cheese slaw as a topping. Next time you come to Charleston, I need to take you to Jack's Cosmic Dog on Folly beach where they have about 25 different hot-dog toppings:-)