Thursday, January 3, 2013

Read a Book a Month: December


In December I picked up a book that I've had in my stack for quite some time. As you can see, I picked it out of a bargin bin. It's a collection of short stories called Varieties of Disturbance by Lydia Davis. The stories range from 2 or 3 lines to 20 pages, and there are subjects all the way from domestic servants to passing gas! Some of them really made me laugh, but of lot of them just made me think. I actually really enjoyed the one where she analyzes the lives of two elderly women and determines what factors might have contributed to their long healthy lives. I know it sounds super boring, but it was interesting! I don't even know if it was a true observation...she may have just completely made up these characters. Anyway, I enjoyed this! It was a nice cap to a great reading year for me.

I'm planning to do this again in 2013. I'm going to read a little more on Les Miserables  then start on something to complete in January. Maybe I'll finish Les Mis by the end of the year! Have you guys read any good books lately?

2 comments:

TheHeadlessMannequin said...

I'm adding this to my to read list :) I've only recently gotten into collections of short stories and when they're good they can be way more satisfying than a novel...I think it's the instant gratification effect..you don't have to wade through 1,000 or so pages to find out what happens :) Looking forward to more reviews from you!

Introverted Art said...

this book sounds so interesting. I am adding that one to my list as well :)