Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Culinary Adventures with Margaret

What do you do when you find yourself with a free Saturday evening? (This happens NEVER, by the way) You call up a friend of course! Margaret and I decided to get together Saturday and rustle up some dinner. I happened to have some quinoa that I've been needing to cook so we decided to try a black bean and quinoa "burger." I put burger in quotations because I don't want any of you to think they are actually supposed to taste like a hamburger. It's a patty, but that's about the only similarity!

Here's the recipe we used on Allrecipes.com




It's so stinking easy! You just cook the quinoa first, mash up the black beans, mix in the quinoa and other ingredients (minced peppers and onions, garlic, cumin, salt, bread crumbs, and egg, hot sauce) and form into patties. They cook for about 5 minutes in oil on each side and you're done! I cooked mine on medium/high and they got just crisp enough for my taste on the outside. You can totally tell they are bean burgers because they still have that bean consistency, but as long as you expect that, it's all good!

Margaret had the bright idea to add feta cheese, which is ALWAYS delicious, and I added lettuce for some crunch. It turned out to be a pretty yummy dinner! If any of you try it, I'd love to know. I want to make them again and play with the ingredients a little to make the patties a little less smushy!

2 comments:

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I like black bean burgers, but have you ever noticed how much fat the store bought ones have in them?! I'll give this a try!

cb said...

i have always wanted to try this but it seemed like it would hard but if you say it is easy then hell yea! will totally try this out! thanks for sharing! yay!
xo,
cb