Friday, May 17, 2013

Tribute to Jim

Earlier this semester my former photography professor announced he was retiring from teaching. It wasn't a huge blow to me personally, since I graduated a few years ago, but I know that current students are probably pretty bummed! Jim is one of those people whom EVERYONE loves. There's not one single bad thing about that man, and that's a pretty huge claim to make about someone. He's an excellent photographer, he's the most encouraging person I know AND he sets an amazing Christian example for everyone who comes through Union. It's a plus that he and his wife are pretty much the cutest couple ever. So anyway, enough gushing. To send him off properly, his colleagues (Chris and Ashley) hosted a party in his honor for alum and coworkers to attend. 

Ashley gushing about Jim


Jim and Carol (and everyone else) giggling because Ashley is hilarious

Part of the gathering included a presentation that served as a gift from Jim's current and former students.  Kathleen (soon to be Jim's successor! Congrats, Kat!) put together this AMAZING slideshow of images submitted by students under the theme of "His Influence." It also included recordings of the students telling how he influenced them. The last part of the slideshow had several snapshots of Jim and Carol, some of them quite funny. Later the photos and submitted critiques of the photos (this was something he always did in class, so the project mirrored that) will be printed in the form of a book for Jim and Carol to keep. I have to say, this party was probably one of the most fun things I've gotten to do in a while. I got to see lots of old classmates and hang out with so many of the people I cherish. It was a wonderful night!

I am so excited to see what the next chapter of their lives holds. Jim is planning to do freelance work again, which is what he did before teaching. I have no doubt he will do great things! And I'm also pretty sure he'll be spending some extra time with grandbabies too :) Best wishes, Jim and Carol, in all that life has to offer! 

1 comment:

k said...

that is so awesome that he has that video now, its such a nice thing to do for him and probably so incredibly special to him!